Buying A Van

Insuring Your Van: Roamly


You bought a van! Woohoo! Now it’s time to insure it. Is regular auto insurance enough? Does campervan insurance exist? What to do!

Auto insurance, which covers only the vehicle itself, will not cover any type of build or personal belongings inside your vehicle. It will protect your van in the event of an accident, theft, or damage depending on the specifics of your auto insurance plan. BUT, the better option for your van would be RV Insurance (Class B)

Class B RV Insurance will protect your vehicle AND all the blood, sweat, tears, and memories that live behind the driver’s seat. Several insurance companies offer different types of RV insurance, but we’ve found Roamly to be the best option out there.

The creators of Roamly are RV owners who got tired of the fuss, the no-rental restrictions, and the high rates of commercial RV policies. So they created the kind of RV insurance they always wanted: hassle-free, safe, and built for the modern marketplace of vehicle sharing. 

Here are some of the most commonly questions about RV insurance, and what Roamly had to say about them:

How do I get RV insurance through Roamly? 

“It’s easy to get better RV insurance through Roamly. Start by answering a few simple questions online at, like how many vehicles you want to cover. There aren’t too many questions, we promise. After completing these questions you’ll see an initial online insurance quote. Then one of our friendly US-based agents will want to confirm details over the phone to ensure you get the best coverage and price for your needs. After receiving a final quote from your dedicated agent, they’ll help you quickly complete the purchase of your new policy (insurance people call it ‘binding’). Once finalized, you’ll conveniently receive your official policy documents via email so you can be off and running.”

What type of coverage does Roamly offer? 

“Most RV insurance companies offer specific types of coverage for specific types of RVs — for specific types of RV owners. Yeesh. But Roamly’s different. We offer all types of RV insurance! 

Check it out.

RV insurance for the Weekend Warrior

If you use your motorhome for special trips — as opposed to living in yours for more than 6 months of the year —  a standard personal RV policy is right up your alley. Here’s what they typically look like. 

Liability protection

There are 2 types of liability insurance. 

1. Property damage liability covers the other person if you’re found at-fault for damaging their property (vehicle, fence, garage door, etc.). 

2. Bodily injury liability covers the other person if you’re found at-fault for their injury — be it a driver or pedestrian. 

Also note, liability protection is required in pretty much every state. 

Comprehensive coverage

Comprehensive covers damage to your RV that’s non-collision-related. Things like hail, theft, and vandalism. 

Collision coverage

This helps pay for repairs to your RV if it collides with another vehicle or object. And that’s regardless of fault.

Medical payments coverage

If you’re in an accident, this one will foot your medical bills for you or passengers.

Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage

These step in if an at-fault driver doesn’t have enough insurance (or no insurance) to cover your repairs or medical bills.

Roadside assistance 

If your RV’s kaput, roadside assistance is there with tows, fuel delivery, jumpstarts, and more. 

Full-time motorhome insurance

Roamly offers a specialized policy for those who live in their motorhome at least 6 months out of the year. Full-time RV insurance coverage includes all the above, plus: 

  • Loss assessment for HOA fees
  • Emergency expense coverage for temporary housing if your RV isn’t liveable after a covered incident
  • Adjacent structures coverage for any stand-alone structures on your site (porches, carports, decks)
  • Debris removal to clear out rubble after a covered incident    

Coverage for RV owners renting out their RV

Many RV insurers drop your policy altogether if you rent out your motorhome or camper. Not Roamly. If you’re renting your RV on sites like Outdoorsy, you’ll still be covered by your Roamly policy. 

Commercial RV insurance 

If you rent out three or more RVs regularly, consider a commercial policy. It covers all the associated risks with running a business. Roamly lowers rates by only insuring the time between rentals, since your customers pay for insurance during the rental period. 

Plus, Wheelbase Pro and Outdoorsy offer built-in insurance during the rental period — at no added cost. That way, you’re financially protected front to back.”

Can I rent my camper on rental marketplaces like Outdoorsy? 

“Yes! With Roamly commercial and personal policies you can safely rent your RV on marketplaces like Outdoorsy without losing coverage or worrying about loopholes. And with Outdoorsy’s extra rental-period insurance, your RV stays covered from start to finish with no gaps or extra costs you don’t need. Welcome to a better world of RV insurance.”

For more information about Roamly and insuring your campervan, visit

Why Vanlife Trader?

195 thousand+

Instagram followers/shoppers

#1 online platform

for buyers, sellers, and builders

7 thousand+

daily website viewers

2 thousand+

email subscibers

Success Stories was amazing! Not only do they display the listings beautifully, but the packages they offer are very worth it. My van was listed for about a week and it sold! Jon was really helpful when I deleted my listing and needed to repost it and he answered right away and was more than helpful. The fact that they post the listings on their Instagram with 200k followers alone is enough. I would definitely recommend this website for anyone who wants to buy/ sell a van!

Cheney – Happy Seller